Revealed: How Twitter plans to make $140m by 2010
LONDON - Twitter is planning to roll out a five-pronged commercial strategy aimed at helping it generate $140 million in revenue by 2010 and $1.5 billion in sales by 2013.
Ker-Ching! How Twitter plans to bring in the bucks
According to stolen documents published by TechCrunch, Twitter's long-awaited money-making strategy focuses on verified accounts, search ads, sponsored tweets, AdSense widgets and payments.
Verified accounts, described by Twitter as ‘the fastest way to make money without putting the whole organisation behind it', would see corporate and celebrity users charged for their Twitter accounts. Facebook currently operates a similar model, requiring advertisers to pay to create Fan Pages, as opposed to setting up a profile.
Search ads would see heavy users of Twitter's search API required to run ads on the service. According to the leaked documents, Twitter will invest in engineering to make the offering ‘flawless' and ‘timely'.
The thirds prong of the strategy focuses on generating revenue via sponsored tweets that could see advertisers charged for targeting consumers with direct messages offering coupons and discount vouchers.
Twitter's commercial strategy also includes AdSense widgets. The microblog's founders have said little of this in the past, but they could take the form of Twitter ads that run on third-party sites and in other apps like Google's AdSense.
There is little information in the stolen documents about payments, the final prong of Twitter's ambitious money-making plan.
Twitter has seen the internet flooded with 310 of its most confidential documents including partner agreements, financial projections and security passcodes after it fell foul of hackers. Click here for six of the juiciest snippets from the company's secret files.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...