Politics will never be the same again, says Prescott
Social media Twitter used by Labour supporters to defend the NHS and embarrass the Conservatives.
Labour blogger David Prescott has claimed that last week saw 'the first successful domestic Twitter campaign to push an issue into the mainstream'.
Prescott, MD of digital PR agency Game Changer, was speaking about widespread use of the welovethenhs 'hashtag' by Twitter users, and the ensuing media coverage.
'It is fair to say politics will never be the same again,' said Prescott. 'Twitter is now just as important at setting the news agenda as Sky News or the Press Association.'
Prescott also told how his father, former deputy prime minister John Prescott, used the #welovethenhs campaign to highlight Tory MEP Daniel Hannan's criticism of the NHS on US TV: 'We informed John about the hashtag, and he suggested tweeting links to Hannan's Fox News clips running down the NHS,' said David Prescott.
'John had been blogging on Hanann's comments since April, but failed to get mainstream media to pick it up.'
Prescott then began tweeting about Hannan's US TV appearances, in a concerted effort to embarrass Tory leader David Cameron. The story was soon picked up by Sky News.
'Introducing Hannan's comments diverted the anger from right-wing Americans to a right-wing British politician,' said Prescott.
This article was first published on PR Week UK
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Quant Qual Research Manager Jarlett de Grouchy £38000 - £42000 per annum + other benefits, Hertfordshire
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...