ITV close to signing content deal with Hulu
LONDON - ITV is reportedly close to signing a deal with US video-on-demand site Hulu to syndicate exclusive content in exchange for equity in the venture, which is owned by Disney, NBC Universal and News Corporation.
The broadcaster is just "weeks away" from announcing the deal, which will make Hulu the only third party website permitted to show full-length programmes made by ITV Productions for ITV, such as 'Coronation Street' and 'Dancing On Ice', according to the Daily Telegraph.
In exchange for the exclusive rights to these shows, ITV will reportedly be given equity in Hulu, which offers thousands of US TV shows, including 'The Simpsons', as well as movies.
Hulu has been in talks with British broadcasters including Channel 4 and the BBC's commercial arm BBC Worldwide to sign them up as content partners ahead of its launch in Britain.
Final terms of the deal are still being agreed as ITV reportedly wanted to retain the rights to sell the ads around its own content. The two firms are said to have reached a compromise.
ITV has described the reports on its involvement with Hulu as speculation and said it would not comment further.
BBC Worldwide recently signed a content deal with Microsoft's MSN video, which will allow viewers of the ad-funded service to watch old and new content from the BBC, including shows such as 'The Young Ones' and 'Mock The Week'.
It is thought that BBC Worldwide may secure a similar arrangement with Hulu, which is now expected to launch in the UK in the early part of 2010.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...