Twitter to launch commercial accounts with premium services
LONDON - Twitter could be set to finally earn some cash from its micro blogging service this year as it prepares to launch commercial accounts to entice business users to pay for premium services like detailed analytics.
According to an interview with VentureBeat, co-founder Biz Stone said that Twitter was in the first phase of rolling out commercial accounts and after that, the company intends to build business-oriented application programming interfaces (APIs), which would create a "commercial layer" over the social network.
Stone said: "Twitter will still be free for everybody and we'll still tell them to go crazy with it.
"But we've identified a selection of things that businesses say are helping to make them more profit."
Twitter will also be launching "verified accounts" for businesses, which help followers decipher if a Twitter account held by Coca-Cola for example is actually owned by Coca-Cola or someone pretending to be the firm.
A number of celebrities such as cyclist Lance Armstrong and comedian Stephen Fry have already been given "verified accounts" on the micro blogging site.
Stone did not give VentureBeat a specific launch date for the newer commercial offerings.
Last month, Twitter documents were leaked, which revealed other commercial strategies aimed at helping the site generate revenue, including search ads, sponsored tweets, and AdSense widgets.
Meanwhile, Twitter announced last week that it was adding location to its service, in a move that will let people see where "tweets" are coming from.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...