Universal Sweden claims Spotify already generates more cash than iTunes
LONDON - Online music streaming service Spotify is now the largest digital source of income for Universal Music in its home market Sweden, surpassing Apple's iTunes.
Per Sundin, managing director of Universal Music Sweden, told The Swedish Wire: "In five months from the launch, Spotify became our largest digital source of income and so passed by iTunes.
Spotify does not disclose its arrangements with royalty collectors, however it has been reported that major music labels, as well as the major independent labels, have equity in Spotify.
If true, labels are not just making money from royalties each time a track is streamed but would be in line for a share of profit from Spotify's premium subscriptions and advertising income.
In the UK, the largest digital income record labels receive still comes from the sale of tracks and albums via iTunes.
However, industry sources predict that Spotify will generate significant revenue for UK record labels within the next six months if the site continues to grow at its current rate.
A Spotify spokesman told the Daily Telegraph: "Collectively we won't be able to change the music industry model overnight -- we're seeing revenues grow month-on-month which are being shared with rights holders in line with our agreements."
However the spokesman said that Spotify expected to take "up to two years" to grow to a sufficient size in order to become a "material revenue generator for artists".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...