Augmented reality contact lenses give you Terminator-vision
LONDON - Augmented reality contact lenses that enhance your vision by superimposing virtual images over the real world could soon be a reality following trials in the US.
Researchers at the University of Washington are trialling a new generation of contact lenses containing tiny circuits and LEDs that will eventually provide humans with bionic eyesight.
The results could be similar to The Terminator movies in which Arnold Schwarzenegger's character sees the world with a range of data superimposed on his visual field
Associate professor of biotechnology at the University of Washington Babak A. Parviz and his team have created prototype augmented reality contact lenses containing independently fabricated microcomponents such as biosensors and circuits.
The lenses are being tested in bunnies' eyeballs and are currently suitable for up to twenty minutes of wear. They currently contain only one LED display but will eventually include hundreds of LEDs, which will form images in front of the eye, such as words, charts, and photographs.
Most of the hardware in the contact leneses is semi-transparent so that wearers can navigate their surroundings without crashing into them or becoming disoriented.
Brands have already been quick to take advantage of augmented reality to promote their products suggesting their could be huge commercial for AR contact lenses.
Find out more by clicking here.
This article was first published on revolutionmagazine.com
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...