Augmented reality contact lenses give you Terminator-vision
LONDON - Augmented reality contact lenses that enhance your vision by superimposing virtual images over the real world could soon be a reality following trials in the US.
Researchers at the University of Washington are trialling a new generation of contact lenses containing tiny circuits and LEDs that will eventually provide humans with bionic eyesight.
The results could be similar to The Terminator movies in which Arnold Schwarzenegger's character sees the world with a range of data superimposed on his visual field
Associate professor of biotechnology at the University of Washington Babak A. Parviz and his team have created prototype augmented reality contact lenses containing independently fabricated microcomponents such as biosensors and circuits.
The lenses are being tested in bunnies' eyeballs and are currently suitable for up to twenty minutes of wear. They currently contain only one LED display but will eventually include hundreds of LEDs, which will form images in front of the eye, such as words, charts, and photographs.
Most of the hardware in the contact leneses is semi-transparent so that wearers can navigate their surroundings without crashing into them or becoming disoriented.
Brands have already been quick to take advantage of augmented reality to promote their products suggesting their could be huge commercial for AR contact lenses.
Find out more by clicking here.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Video Creative Solutions Sales Manager Ultimate Asset £40000 - £65000 per annum + +comm+bens, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Fashion Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone + Benefits, London
- Digital Account Manager: £37k - Mobile Phone Brand Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum + Phone and Benefits!, London
- Digital Planner Buyer - £28k - Big Budgets! Ultimate Asset £26000 - £28000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Creative Thinker - Senior Planner Buyer - £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Senior Digital Media Planner Buyer- £30k- Independent Agency Ultimate Asset £28000 - £30000 per annum + Benefits, London