Asda uses YouTube to strike back at chicken-licking employee
LONDON - Asda has harnessed the power of social media to hit back at a former employee who was shown on YouTube this week running riot in the chain's Fulwood branch.
An Asda employee is upset by her former colleague's antics
Employees from the Asda Fulwood store posted a video response to former employee Adeel Ayub's antics on YouTube, after he posted a series of clips showing him urinating in the store and licking a raw chicken.
Asda has posted the video with the message "Here's what we think about a former colleague's childish video". It features four members of staff, one of whom appears to be close to tears, expressing their shock and hope that "the person involved get what's coming to them."
Ayub, in tandem with an unseen cameraman, made a series of short films at the Fulwood branch of the supermarket in Preston, Lancashire, over the course of three years.
The clips, which became public this week, show him hurling raw eggs at the wall of a stockroom in a game he calls "Egg Throwing Competition". In other scenes, Ayub, who is dressed in an Asda uniform, enters the staff room and slits holes in fellow employee's clothing.
He later urinates in a bin before kicking it over and unwraps a fresh chicken and appears to insert a forefinger into it before licking the raw meat.
Dominic Burch, head of corporate comms and new media at Asda, informed the PR Media Blog: "There was a chance people would think this was still happening in that store or that we'd turned a blind eye at the time it happened.
"But once we'd seen it, we were quick to say how disgusted we were and then worked fast to find out who the person was and whether he was still part of the business. Colleagues at the store, aware of the vandalism from the first incident, were glad the perpetrator was now out in the open."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Data Journalist PRISM Highly Competitive, London
- Head of New Media Department for Work and Pensions Salary £60,030 to £72,880., Westminster
- Shopper Insights Manager PepsiCo negotiable, Theale
- CMI Director Ball & Hoolahan £95,000 + Car/Car Allowance , London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Brand Manager Diageo Great reward package for great talent, Amsterdam / Dublin / Madrid / London (Greater)
- Assistant Marketing Strategy Manager Thorntons £Competitive + Benefits, Alfreton, Derbyshire