Guardian News & Media will not close The Observer
LONDON - Guardian News & Media (GNM) has confirmed it will not close its Sunday title The Observer.
Parent company Guardian Media Group (GMG) has said it intends to explore ways to integrate its titles after speculation that the loss-making Observer would close or be re-packaged as a weekly news magazine.
The Sunday title is 200 years old. In an internal email to staff Alan Rusbridger, editor-in-chief of GNM, warned of further job cuts and said a voluntary redundancy scheme would be reopened.
GNM, which also publishes the Guardian and its online counterpart, is conducting a strategic review and considering a range of different products and editorial structures across the Saturday and Sunday titles.
GNM made an operating loss of £36.8m in the year ending on 29 March. Parent group, GMG, also runs several regional newspapers, radio stations and Emap magazines recorded a pre-tax loss of £89.8m.
The group has launched a cost-cutting drive to shave £20m from its editorial budget and from commercial departments. So far there have been 50 voluntary redundancies from editorial and a further 82 commercial jobs have been cut.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...