Nokia buys social media website Dopplr
LONDON - Nokia has reportedly continued its acquisition spree in social media with the purchase of Dopplr, the London-based site that allows people to share personal and business travel plans privately.
The deal is reported to be worth between €10m (£9m) and €15m (£13.6m) and comes hot on the heels of Nokia's takeover of Plum, the Boston-based micro social networking site, which specialises in serving groups such as families and neighbourhood communities.
Dopplr founder and CEO Marko Ahtisaari was previously the Director of Design Strategy at Nokia. A spokeswoman for Nokia declined to confirm the reports, describing the story as a "market rumour".
Nokia has been expanding its presence in the mobile social network market for some time, having also acquired Cellity and Bit-Side this year.
Launched in 2007, Dopplr also reminds members of friends and colleagues who live in the cities they're planning to visit.
The company claims that Dopplr's users have already shared 70m miles of trips to over 2000 cities around the world.
The name "Dopplr" was inspired by Christian Doppler, a 19th Century scientist who came up with what's now known as the Doppler effect.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Director - Integrated Agency with Int. Drinks, Entertainment & Tech Accounts Rocket Recruitment £44,000 - 48,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (...
- Digital Production Manager ADLIB c.£35k, South West England / Bristol, City of Bristol
- Brand Development Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £42,000, London (Greater)
- Join the flagship Agency team at Blue Skies, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Executive Stopgap £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)