Nokia buys social media website Dopplr
LONDON - Nokia has reportedly continued its acquisition spree in social media with the purchase of Dopplr, the London-based site that allows people to share personal and business travel plans privately.
The deal is reported to be worth between €10m (£9m) and €15m (£13.6m) and comes hot on the heels of Nokia's takeover of Plum, the Boston-based micro social networking site, which specialises in serving groups such as families and neighbourhood communities.
Dopplr founder and CEO Marko Ahtisaari was previously the Director of Design Strategy at Nokia. A spokeswoman for Nokia declined to confirm the reports, describing the story as a "market rumour".
Nokia has been expanding its presence in the mobile social network market for some time, having also acquired Cellity and Bit-Side this year.
Launched in 2007, Dopplr also reminds members of friends and colleagues who live in the cities they're planning to visit.
The company claims that Dopplr's users have already shared 70m miles of trips to over 2000 cities around the world.
The name "Dopplr" was inspired by Christian Doppler, a 19th Century scientist who came up with what's now known as the Doppler effect.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London