Liberty and M&S sign-up to London's virtual West End
LONDON - If you're pushed for time or just don't fancy the idea of battling through the West End crowds for your Christmas shopping fear no more because high street names are signing up to 3D online shopping experience NearLondon.
London's West End in virtual reality
Marks & Spencer, Liberty & American Apparel have all signed up to NearLondon's virtual West End, joining John Lewis which announced its decision to participate in the interactive project earlier this month.
Some of the London's most famous shopping areas - Oxford Street, Regent Street, Bond Street and Leicester Square - will be mapped out.
Internet users will be able to wander down streets, click into stores and browse the items for sale. The virtual world will be made as realistic as possible, with even weather conditions reproduced in real time.
The environment will also be enriched by buses driving down streets, news stands that reflect breaking stories and content from films being screened at cinemas in Leicester Square streamed on billboards. Christmas lights will even turn on once those in the real world are switched on.
Once the site has launched in November, a Facebook feature will enable users of the meet friends and go shopping together in the virtual world.
The project's creators - New West End Company - claim it is the first time a city has been recreated via a website.
Alex Wrottesley, project creator, said: "It enables shoppers to discover products online in the same way as they'd explore the real city. It's an interface with the city; it helps you get the most out of London."
A spokesman for Marks & Spencer, added: "Smart retailers know that maximising both their online and store offerings helps to drive business and increases footfall.
"NearLondon will enable our customers here in the UK and internationally to take a virtual tour of our offer before they visit."
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Brand Marketing Manager lastminute.com Competitive with great benefits, Farringdon
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £45,000 + bens, London
- Web Developer - Colchester - up to £50k + benefits Fill Recruitment Ltd up to £50k + benefits, Colchester
- SR DESIGNER Red Sofa London £40000 - £45000 per annum, London
- Junior Web Developer - Colchester - up to £22k + benefits Fill Recruitment Ltd up to £22k + benefits, Colchester