TV and PC retailer moves into internet movie delivery
NEW YORK - Electronics retailer Best Buy is launching its own online movie service that will deliver films just released on DVD to any internet-connected device bought in its stores.
Best Buy is launching the service in partnership with Sonic Solutions, a Californian company that digitises content for every major Hollywood studio, but branding it as a Best Buy service.
Sonic's Roxio CinemaNow video platform will be embedded within a range of web-connected devices that Best Buy sells, including televisions, computers, Blu-ray players, set-top boxes and mobile phones, not just under its own Insignia brand but also others such as Samsung, Sony, Panasonic and Toshiba.
The CinemaNow movie service has a library of over 22,000 films and often makes titles available on the same day as their DVD release.
Sonic chief executive officer Dave Habiger said that the content will be stored on servers so users can watch on any device, similar to how web-based email can be viewed on different computers.
Best Buy said that it had taken a small stake in Sonic as part of the partnership and will launch a marketing campaign to educate consumers about the new movie service, which is due to launch early next year.
Brian Dunn, Best Buy's chief executive officer, said in a statement that the digital video store expands Best Buy's foray into services, helping the company increase customer loyalty.
Last month the company partnered with content delivery service Netflix to stream its film library to its Insignia Blu-ray DVD players.
The US retailer will increasingly be competing with services like Apple's iTunes, which as well as music, sells digital downloads of films and TV shows.
DVD rental chain Blockbuster also runs an online movie service using the CinemaNow platform.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...