Absolute Radio reports loss of £2.7m for 2008
LONDON - Turnover at Absolute Radio's parent company TIML was down 8.2% year on year in 2008 to £22m, due to Absolute's investment in the rebrand and the effect of the recession.
Absolute: turnover hit by recession
According to TIML's annual report, Absolute Radio's parent company made a loss of £2.7m before tax in 2008, dropping sharply from 2007, when its predecessor, Virgin Radio, made a £3.8m profit.
Operating expenses rose 24.7% year on year in 2008 to £24.7m, from £19.8m in 2007. A spokesman for Absolute said the cost increases were in line with business plans.
TIML rebranded Virgin Radio as Absolute Radio at the end of September last year.
A spokesman said its turnover was hit by the recession and its costs rose due to the launch and marketing of the new brand and its continuing innovations "in the digital space".
The entire commercial radio industry generated revenue of £560.2m in 2008, down 6.3% year on year, according to official figures from the Radio Advertising Bureau. Fellow national AM licensee UTV's TalkSport revenue rose 6% year on year in 2008, to £22.7m.
Adrian Robinson, chief financial officer at Absolute Radio, said Absolute's strategy had been to invest and the figures were as expected.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...