AOL considers sale of Bebo and ICQ
NEW YORK - AOL is reported to be in talks to sell its social networking site Bebo and instant messaging service ICQ to Russian investment firm Digital Sky Technologies, which earlier this year bought into Facebook.
The Wall Street Journal reports that Digital Sky Technologies is in the early stages of talks with the newly independent AOL, which is attempting to reinvent itself as a content firm.
First to go could be ICQ, reported to be attracting a price tag of between $200m to $300m. The WSJ says Bebo could also be part of the deal as it no longer fits with AOL's refocused business model being put in place by chief executive Tim Armstrong following his 100-day review of the business.
Earlier this year AOL was reported to be ready to offload Bebo less than a year after it was acquired for $850m (£417m). Bebo's star has faded since it was bought by AOL and it sits far behind rivals Facebook and MySpace.
Digital Sky Technologies, which paid $200m (£123m) for a 1.96% equity stake in Facebook in May, owns a number of online properties in Russia including the country's largest website Mail.ru.
ICQ has, like Bebo, seen its fortunes fade, but it is still very popular in certain parts of the world including Germany, where it has 12.6m unique users, and Russia where it has 8.4m uniques, according to comScore.
Talk of the sell-off follows AOL confirming last month that it plans to cut more than 2,500 jobs or a third of its workforce to achieve cost savings of around $300m.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...