Marketers choose social media over DM
LONDON - Marketers are diverting marketing budgets away from direct marketing and into social media, according to research by Alterian.
In a survey of more than 1,000 marketers from around the world, Alterian found that 66% of respondents will be investing in social media marketing activity over the next year and as many as 40% said they would be using the DM budget to do so.
The 40% said they would cut their DM budget by more than a fifth to pay for their social media activities, according to Alterian's 7th Annual Survey.
David Eldridge, Alterian chief executive, said: "Untargeted and irrelevant marketing techniques are now redundant and the results of this survey show many in the industry recognise this."
The research found that 51% of those surveyed were placing a reasonable or significant amount of effort moving from a campaign-centric DM model.
The upsurge of investment in social media overall also includes marketers investing in monitoring and analysis tools with 36% surveyed indicating they were planning such a move.
The rise in the number of marketers turning to social media monitoring tools is reflective of a maturing of the market and a growing understanding of the role social networking can plan in marketing campaigns.
Eldridge said: "Without the adequate investment in listening and measurement tools it renders any anticipated investment in social media ineffectual. The key to an effective social media strategy is listening."
More on the blogs
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Head of Creative Major Players negotiable, City of London
- Middle Weight Digital Designer Gemini Search £30000.00 - £45000.00 per annum, London