RAJAR Q4 2009: Wogan bows out on top with 8.1 million weekly listeners
Sir Terry Wogan signed off from his long-running BBC Radio 2 breakfast show on a high, with a weekly audience figure of 8.1 million during the last quarter of 2009.
Wogan: final weekly breakfast audience of 8.1 million
The 71-year-old, who stepped down from his 'Wake up to Wogan' radio slot in December after 27 years in the presenter's chair, enjoyed an increase in listeners of 350,000 from the previous quarter, retaining his lead over BBC breakfast rival Chris Moyles, as well as his commercial challengers.
Moyles' Radio 1 breakfast show attracted 7.24 million listeners each week, keeping it in second spot ahead of the Radio 4 breakfast show, which achieved a weekly audience of 6.41 million.
Wogan has now been replaced in the Radio 2 breakfast show slot by Chris Evans, but will be back on the air from 14 February, with a weekly Sunday morning show.
Tim Davie, director of BBC audio and music, said: "Terry is a legendary broadcaster and these figures show his popularity has never been higher. I'm now looking forward to tuning in to his new show later this month, along with all the TOGs [Terry's Old Geezers]."
Some 46 million UK adults tuned in to a radio station each week during the last quarter of 2009, according to the latest RAJAR figures. This signalled a rise of 250,000 listeners quarter on quarter, and an increase of half a million listeners from the previous year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Manager fishtank 24k to 33k per year GBP, Surrey
- Junior Account Manager fishtank 22k to 28k per year GBP, Buckinghamshire
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...