Coca-Cola set to axe jobs in European marketing review
LONDON - Coca-Cola is overhauling its European marketing operation as part of a review of the wider business that could affect up to 150 roles.
Coca-Cola: European marketing review
The soft-drinks company has started a consultation with its employees, which may lead to staff being made redundant across the 38 countries in which Coca-Cola Europe operates.
Coca-Cola confirmed that all roles, including Cathryn Sleight's position of marketing director of Coca-Cola Great Britain, are under review.
Dominique Reiniche, president of Coca-Cola Europe, said: 'The changes we have announced will simplify the way we do business and make us more efficient by being faster to market and allowing us to increase the scale of our activities across Europe.'
Coca-Cola said that it had informed employees of 'plans to simplify the structure of the business to improve efficiency and effectiveness', but would not give further details.
One expected outcome is that Coca-Cola will make London the hub of its Euro-pean marketing operations, with some Great Britain and European roles that are currently carried out separately becoming the responsibility of one person.
The efficiency drive could also lead the company to seek agencies that offer full-service advertising.
In the UK, Coca-Cola works with several agencies: Mother handles the majority of the brand's advertising activity; Carlson Marketing oversees online loyalty site Coke Zone; and VCCP handles advertising for Capri-Sun and the recently relaunched 5 Alive juice brand. Media planning and buying is handled by Vizeum.
- Coca-Cola posted total UK sales of £1.02bn in 2009.
- Sales of regular Coke rose by 4.9% to £542.3m.
- Diet Coke's sales grew by 5.2% year on year to £421m.
- Sales of the sugar-free Coke Zero variant bucked the trend, however, remaining flat at £56.3m.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...