Man United supporters target Nike, Audi, Budweiser and Betfair
LONDON - The Manchester United Supporters Trust (MUST) has ramped up its strategy to oust current owners, the Glazers, by seeking support from the football club's official commercial partners.
Manchester United: fans oppose Glazer ownership
MUST targeted Manchester United's sponsors during the game against Tottenham on Saturday by displaying a banner with the catchphrase 'Time To Choose Sides: The Fans or The Glazers'.
Members of the trust have become disheartened with its current owners, who they feel aren't running the club satifactorily and blame the family for its £700 million debt.
According to Forbes Manchester United is valued at £1.19 billion, the highest valued club in the world.
Despite posting record-breaking profits, MUST feels that increased ticket prices and corporate benefits are isolating its 154,000 members.
Duncan Drasdo, chief executive of MUST, said: "The message we are sending to the sponsors including Nike, Audi, Budweiser, Betfair and new shirt sponsor AON is an appeal for them to speak to the Glazers on behalf of the 154,000 members who’ve already joined MUST, as well as the millions of United supporters around the world who long for an end to the damaging ownership of the Glazers.
"We believe they will be compelled to listen to the combined voice of the sponsors and the supporters."
As well as the banner, MUST will be distributing 70,000 'recruiting cards' to supporters.
The Red Knights, a consortium of businessmen led by Jim O'Neill of Goldman Sachs, is reported to be readying a takeover of the club. The group has reported to have raised £1.5 billion from investors.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- PR SAM-AD Financial Services, £33-35k #PR Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment GBP33000 - GBP55000 per annum, Benefits: benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...