LoveFilm shores up defence against Netflix with Sony content deal
LoveFilm has struck a content deal with Sony Pictures Television, as it bolsters its defence against rival Netflix, which plans to launch in the UK next year.
The Social Network: Sony Pictures release will be available on the LoveFilm service
As part of the deal, LoveFilm users will gain exclusive streaming access to Sony Pictures Television's movies and TV series, which include 'The Social Network' and 'Salt', during the second pay window.
The multi-year deal also covers pay per view and download to own, although not on an exclusive basis.
LoveFilm has been accelerating its content partnerships this year, and most recently it struck a similar exclusive content deal with Warner Bros.
Other content providers to partner with LoveFilm this year include Lionsgate, Momentum, Disney and StudioCanal.
The move comes one day after Netflix announced a content deal with BBC Worldwide. Netflix's launch has been tipped for March 2012.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Regional Corporate Senior Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £25000 - £29000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- Regional Corporate Executive - Volunteer Fundraising (Home Based) Cancer Research UK £20000 - £24000 per annum + Car + Excellent benefits, Nationwide
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £50k Judi Patton £40k-£50k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Client Partner The Great & The Good £80000 - £90000 per annum + significant benefits, London