LoveFilm shores up defence against Netflix with Sony content deal
LoveFilm has struck a content deal with Sony Pictures Television, as it bolsters its defence against rival Netflix, which plans to launch in the UK next year.
The Social Network: Sony Pictures release will be available on the LoveFilm service
As part of the deal, LoveFilm users will gain exclusive streaming access to Sony Pictures Television's movies and TV series, which include 'The Social Network' and 'Salt', during the second pay window.
The multi-year deal also covers pay per view and download to own, although not on an exclusive basis.
LoveFilm has been accelerating its content partnerships this year, and most recently it struck a similar exclusive content deal with Warner Bros.
Other content providers to partner with LoveFilm this year include Lionsgate, Momentum, Disney and StudioCanal.
The move comes one day after Netflix announced a content deal with BBC Worldwide. Netflix's launch has been tipped for March 2012.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Account Director - Leading Communications Agency Digital Gurus £43000 - £50000 Per Annum Up to £50K + Bens, London
- Marketing Manager fishtank £35000 - £45000 per annum, Bristol
- Digital Account Manager Dot-Gap £35k, Central London
- Head of Social and Digital Media - Leading Luxury Brand Digital Gurus £55000 - £65000 Per Annum plus bonuses, London
- Account Director fishtank £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Somerset
- Digital Media Senior Executive - Mobile - Leading Agency Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London