Govt faces calls to ban cosmetic surgery ads
The Government is to consider calls for a ban on ads for cosmetic surgery, following the scandal over faulty breast implants.
Cosmetic surgery ads: MPs and surgeons want crackdown
Plastic surgeons and MPs are demanding a crackdown after it emerged that tens of thousands of British women have had implants made by the French company Poly Implant Prothèse.
The British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons said the ban on promoting prescription medicines should be extended to cosmetic surgery to bring "cowboy" companies under control. Fazel Fatah, its president, said there were "many aggressive marketing gimmicks that not only trivialise surgery but endanger the patient".
In a report this summer, a cross-party Parliamentary group on body image is expected to call for curbs on ads. Jo Swinson, its Liberal Democrat chairman, said there was a growing consensus among witnesses to its inquiry that tougher ad regulations were needed for cosmetic surgery.
"Some companies are reputable. There are others who prey on vulnerable people and sell them a dream that may well not be realised," she said.
However, the Independent Healthcare Advisory Service opposes a ban. Sally Taber, its director, admitted ads had reached "an inappopriate level" but said: "Advertising should be honest and ethical in everybody's interests so the patient is aware of what is available."
Andrew Lansley, the Health Secretary, has ordered a wide-ranging review of the industry. Professor Sir Bruce Keogh, the NHS medical director, will be questioned on 7 February by the Commons Health Select Committee, which is considering its own inquiry.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Marketing Communications Manager - 3 month contract with the ch Brand Recruitment £35000 per annum, Cambridge
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...