Saturday Sun cut to 50p to match Sunday edition
News International has confirmed the Sunday edition of The Sun will be priced at 50p, while the cover price of the Saturday edition will be cut from 60p to 50p.
The Sun: today's front page promotes Sunday's edition
Media agency sources expect the Sunday edition to include advertising from O2, Virgin Media, EasyJet, Sky and Butlins.
The company has set 50p as the regular cover price, as opposed to setting a cover price of £1 and selling initial issues at half price as industry sources had been told earlier this week.
The £1 price point is the norm for The People, the Sunday Mirror and the Daily Star Sunday and was the cost of the News of the World before its closure in July last year.
Readers of the Saturday Sun would have got less for their 60p with the transfer of Fabulous magazine to the Sunday Sun, though it still includes TV Buzz magazine.
News International is understood to be spending £7m on marketing activity over the coming weeks to support the launch.
Rivals Trinity Mirror, Northern & Shell and Associated Newspapers have ramped up their marketing and media agencies predict they could collectively spend £7m on activity before the end of March.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Senior Brand Consultant - Brand Strategist Royds Raphael £85k-£100k+neg, London
- PROCUCTION MANAGER / DIRECTOR - BRANDING DESIGN & STRATEGY Royds Raphael £45k-£50k+neg, London