Waitrose congratulates Reading on promotion to Premier League
Waitrose drew attention to its sponsorship of Reading FC with a press campaign this weekend hailing the team's promotion into the Premier League.
Waitrose: press ad congratulates Reading FC's promotion
The press ad, headlined, "We are the champions", said: "Good luck in the Barclays Premier League, we're proud to sponsor you", following the team's final game of the season.
Waitrose signed a new two-year sponsorship with Reading in December 2010, which will include the team's 2012/13 season in the Premier League.
The high-profile sponsorship is also unique in that Reading is the only team to be sponsored by a supermarket chain.
The press campaign ran in The Sunday Times and also contained text stating, "Everyone at Waitrose would like to congratulate Brian McDermott [the manager] and his team at Reading Football Club on winning the npower Championship".
McDermott, the former manager of Woking FC and reserve team coach at Reading, has steered Reading to the Premier League after being entrusted with the full-time manager's job in January 2010, following a surprise victory against Liverpool in the FA Cup.
Follow Matthew Chapman at @mattchapmanUK
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of External Communications Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £70,000 - £80,000 tax free, Kuwait
- Production Manager Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, Birmingham
- Content Director AF Selection £35,000 + Bonus + Benefits, Birmingham
- Advertising Operations Specialist Propel £24000 - £32000 per annum, City of London