Capital One in frame to become League Cup sponsor
Capital One is thought to be in late stage discussions with the Football League about replacing Carling as the title sponsor for the League Cup.
Carling: opts out of football sponsorship deal
According to one source, Capital One has received approval in the UK for the deal and is now awaiting a rubber stamp in the US.
The US financial company is tipped to be the competition's title sponsor for next season's competition but it is not clear how long the deal will run for.
Details of the sponsorship could be announced in the coming weeks, sources have told Marketing.
Current sponsor Carling has opted not to renew its 14-year association with the competition.
Capital One is viewing the cup as a means of raising its profile in the UK. The company has had made previous efforts to grow its brand through sport sponsorship. It was sponsor of Nottingham Forest from 2004 to 2009 and Sheffield United from 2006 to 2008.
Previous sponsors of the League Cup:
- 1982-1986: Dairy Crest, Milk Cup
- 1986-1990: Littlewoods, Littlewoods Challenge Cup
- 1990-1992: Rumbelows, Rumbelows Cup
- 1992-1998: Coca-Cola, Coca-Cola Cup
- 1998-2003: Worthington's, Worthington Cup
- 2003-2012: Molson Coors, Carling Cup
Follow John Reynolds on Twitter @johnreynolds10
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 27k to 35k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...