Yorkie makes shift from 'not for girls' positioning with new TV ad
Nestlé-owned chocolate bar Yorkie is to launch its first TV ad in 10 years, in a move which sees the brand move away from its controversial "It's not for girls" campaign.
Yorkie: new ad campaign
The brand will this weekend (4 June) roll out a TV ad, by JWT London, using the new tagline "Man Fuel for Man Stuff". The comical clip depicts men as behaving like "superheroes" when carrying out simply everyday tasks, with a character carrying his entire supermarket shop from his car to the house in a single attempt.
Yorkie first launched its "not for girls" positioning in 2002, in an effort to better target male consumers. Then-marketing director Andrew Harrison said the campaign was planned as a deliberate antidote to the "feminine silks and swirls and indulgent images of most confectionery advertising".
Shortly after its launch, sampling activity based around the campaign was banned in cities such as Birmingham and Liverpool after being deemed "sexist". The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) also dismissed complaints about a Yorkie print ad running in FHM magazine using the headline "Size matters".
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...