Cannes 2012: UK needs to improve in mobile
UK ad agencies need to improve their skillset in mobile, according to Peter Sells, the head of mobile at Bartle Bogle Hegarty and Mobile Lions jury member.
Tom Eslinger, the jury president
Sells said UK agencies, which won one Gold and four Bronze Lions in the inaugural category, are still struggling to do sophisticated mobile work in-house and tend to defer to specialised mobile companies who build the services.
"The industry is not just focused on display advertising any more, and needs to change skillsets", Sells said.
Sells praised DLKW Lowe’s Gold Lion winning "pennies for life" work saying it was beautifully produced and struck a "real emotional chord" with those who took part.
Tom Eslinger, the jury president and digital creatvie director of Saatchi & Saatchi Worldwide, said that fact that Cannes was hosting its first ever Mobile Lions indicated that the medium is now being taken up by the creative industry.
He praised the Grand Prix winner, Google's "hilltop reimgained for Coca Cola" saying it opens up the possiblities of what you can do on mobile.
The jury members noted that there needed to be more clarity and description in the individual categories as there were some impressive entries entered in the wrong category.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...