Cannes 2012: UK needs to improve in mobile
UK ad agencies need to improve their skillset in mobile, according to Peter Sells, the head of mobile at Bartle Bogle Hegarty and Mobile Lions jury member.
Tom Eslinger, the jury president
Sells said UK agencies, which won one Gold and four Bronze Lions in the inaugural category, are still struggling to do sophisticated mobile work in-house and tend to defer to specialised mobile companies who build the services.
"The industry is not just focused on display advertising any more, and needs to change skillsets", Sells said.
Sells praised DLKW Lowe’s Gold Lion winning "pennies for life" work saying it was beautifully produced and struck a "real emotional chord" with those who took part.
Tom Eslinger, the jury president and digital creatvie director of Saatchi & Saatchi Worldwide, said that fact that Cannes was hosting its first ever Mobile Lions indicated that the medium is now being taken up by the creative industry.
He praised the Grand Prix winner, Google's "hilltop reimgained for Coca Cola" saying it opens up the possiblities of what you can do on mobile.
The jury members noted that there needed to be more clarity and description in the individual categories as there were some impressive entries entered in the wrong category.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Middleweight Designer Major Players £30000 - £35000 per annum + Pension & Life Cover, City of London
- Senior Brand Executive Ninesharp £120 - £130 per day, Bournemouth
- Senior Designer Major Players £35000 - £45000 per annum, City of London