Yahoo and Spotify ink global partnership
Yahoo and Spotify have struck a global partnership allowing the digital music service to be integrated across Yahoo's media network.
Spotify: partnership with Yahoo
The deal will see Spotify get exposure to Yahoo’s 700 million global monthly visitors, which according to comScore data for May accounts for 47% of the total global internet audience.
As part of the deal, Spotify will be integrated into Yahoo’s Media Network via its ‘Play’ button, which was launched in April this year and has already been taken up by other publishers including MSN and The Independent.
Initially this will be through Yahoo Music, with the Play button available today, having replaced its previous streaming partner Rhapsody.
Spotify will also be integrated across the whole network, on sites such as Yahoo Movies and omg!, in due course.
Yahoo will create a Yahoo-branded app based on Spotify’s platform, which will feature original content from the Yahoo network with a music theme, for the digital music service’s 10 million active users. The app launch will be later this year.
Daniel Ek, chief executive and founder of Spotify, said: "We are really excited about the new Yahoo leadership team and thrilled to partner with them to build great experiences around high quality content."
Ross Levinsohn, the newly installed interim chief executive at Yahoo, said that it plans to create a ‘soundtrack’ for its users.
However speculation is mounting that Yahoo is refocusing as a media business, rather than a technology business, which was indicated by the appointment of media veteran Michael Barrett as its chief revenue office last week.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Digital Marketing and E-Commerce Manager Better Placed Recruitment £30,000 TO £40,000, Macclesfield
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...