Cannes 2012: Diageo's CMO Barwell looks beyond the 30 second spot
Matthew Barwell, marketing and innovation director of Western Europe for Diageo, talked to Campaign about the alcohol giant's increasing involvement in branded content.
Matthew Barwell, marketing and innovation director western europe for Diageo
Barwell waxed lyrical about the need to embrace creativity in a world where technology has "arrived too fast", and to think beyond the 30 second television spot.
He said: "The power of short film content is amazing and it’s growing. How consumers then absorb it how they see it, respond to it and co-create it is massively different to how it was when I was a brand manager.
"It’s our job to work out how you get that to consumers in a way that’s very different to buying the 30 second spot in the middle of coronation street that used to be the answer."
Diageo chief marketing officer Andy Fennell presented the company’s manifesto for creativity to delegates at the Cannes Lions Palais. He spoke about the brand’s decision to attend the festival as "evidence that you can sell more (product) at higher prices if you are very creative".
Diageo runs a Nightlife Exchange Project as part of marketing activity around its Smirnoff brand. Earlier this year, in a tie-up with Madonna, it gave fans access to a free remixed track download on Facebook, as well as exclusive behind-the-scenes content from Madonna and the opportunity to win tickets to see her in concert.
The brand also joined forces with soft-drinks brand Schweppes this summer for a third year running, to launch a campaign focused around British heritage. As part of the campaign consumers could visit a dedicated page on the Telegraph website to enter a social networking competition.
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...