GoCompare ad hit with 43 complaints in two days
The latest GoCompare ad that features sports presenter Sue Barker attempting to destroy the brand's well-known character Gio Compario with a bazooka, has been deluged with complaints just days after airing.
The ad by Dare has received 43 complaints since airing on Monday night, according to the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA), which said consumers called the ad offensive and had the potential of causing harm to children.
The advertising watchdog is in the process of assessing the ad and has not yet made a decision if investigation is necessary.
The ASA has the power to ban or place a scheduling restriction on the ad if it finds it could be harmful to children.
The ad shows Barker dressed in a balaclava aiming at Gio Compario with a bazooka, as he serenades a young couple in his signature style.
When the gun is fired, a crater appears where Compario was standing, but the missile has missed the singer.
The ad ends with the new strapline, "GoCompare: Saving the nation."
The ad, created by Dare, was preceded by a week-long teaser campaign across Twitter and outdoor.
Toby Horry, managing director, Dare, told Campaign: "Clearly no offence was intended because Gio Compario is a fictional character in a fictional world, and if the ASA gets in touch then we will act accordingly."
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @loullamae_es
This article was first published on campaignlive.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...