Amazon to open digital innovation hub in East London
Amazon has picked London's Tech City as the location for its new international hub for technology and digital innovations.
Tech City: chosen by Amazon for its Digital Media Development Centre
The Digital Media Development Centre, based in Glasshouse Yard in Barbican, will house hundreds of Amazon technical staff.
They will include software development engineers, user-interface experts and graphic designers, as well as the design and development teams from Pushbutton, the TV app company, and its online entertainment service, LoveFilm.
The team will work on interactive digital services for TVs, games consoles, smartphones and PCs, as well as media projects, which it is claimed, will "benefit Amazon customers all over the world."
The centre will open within the next few months.
Paula Byrne, managing director of the centre, said that London was a "hotbed of tech talent" and testament to that was Amazon choosing it as the location for its new centre.
Byrne said: "Innovation is part of the Amazon DNA and we are creating a British centre of excellence to design and develop the next generation of TV and film services for a wide range of digital devices."
Boris Johnson, Mayor of London, said: "For this wildly successful and dynamic company to choose our city to site such an important facility is a splendid feather in our cap. We know we have the talent, the space and infrastructure to make the most of the digital economy."
The Tech City initiative was launched as a way to support and grow London's technology start-up industry, and is based around London's Shoreditch and surrounding areas, with the Old Street roundabout gaining the nickname 'The Silicon Roundabout'.
Amazon's rival Google recently set up shop in Tech City, opening a 'Campus' to support digital start-ups.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Account Planner Direct Recruitment Up to £50,000, Central London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...