Willie Walsh hits out at Hunt's tourism plans over Chinese visa issue
British Airways chief Willie Walsh has hit out at culture secretary Jeremy Hunt's plans to attract 500,000 Chinese tourists to the UK and has called for urgent change to the Government's visa system in order to secure vital visitor spend.
Willie Walsh: visa system a "hassle" for Chinese tourists and needs to change
Hunt aims to triple the number of Chinese visitors in the UK to 500,000 by 2015, which he believes will create an additional £500m in visitor spend.
But Walsh, the chief executive of International Airlines Group, parent company of BA, said the UK is "losing out" to the rest of Europe from the Chinese tourism market because the visa system is a "hassle".
Walsh said in a statement: "The UK is losing out to the rest of Europe when it comes to Chinese visitors and this is entirely in the Government’s control.
"They need to change the visa system and change it urgently. In 2011 more than one million Schengen visas were issued to Chinese nationals allowing them to travel to 26 European countries.
"According to the British Embassy in Beijing only 193,000 visas were issued to Chinese visitors last year.
"It's more expensive and considerably more hassle to get a tourist visa to visit the UK, so the Chinese are taking their business and new-found wealth elsewhere."
However, home secretary Theresa May is reported to be blocking the move to make it easier for Chinese visitors to get visas, claiming that it could pose a national security risk.Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Senior Account Director - Advertising Spectrum 360 Recruitment £55k - £60k, London, Soho
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...