BBC iPlayer introduces free programme downloads for iPhones and iPads
The BBC is allowing licence fee payers to download programmes from iPlayer to their iPhone and iPad devices for free for the first time.
BBC iPlayer: introduces mobile download service
Currently, users can only watch programmes from iPlayer by streaming them on the mobile app, which requires a Wi-Fi or 3G connection, as well as consuming mobile data.
Programmes will be available for up to 30-days after they have been downloaded, or within seven days of being watched.
Users can have the option of downloading multiple programmes, depending on the storage size of their device.
The service is currently only available on Apple devices. The BBC said it will roll it out to Android devices "soon" but has not given an indication of timings.
According to the BBC 30 million mobile requests for iPlayer are made per month, which has surged 142% over the past 12 months.
The BBC rolled out iPlayer for the iPad in February last year. It claims it is now the second most popular way to watch the iPlayer, after the PC.
This move could have an impact on consumers' expectations of rival video on demand services from commercial broadcasters such as ITV, Channel 4 and Five.Follow @shearmans
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...