Virgin Atlantic chief Steve Ridgway steps down
Steve Ridgway, Virgin Atlantic's chief executive, is to step down from his post in 2013 after 23-years at the airline.
Steve Ridgeway: chief executive, Virgin Atlantic
Ridgway first joined Virgin Atlantic in 1989 as the managing director of Virgin Freeway, the UK’s first automated frequent flyer programme.
He was appointed to the board role of executive director of customer services in 1994 and was promoted to managing director of Virgin Atlantic in 1998, before becoming chief executive in 2001.
Ridgway is leading the search for his replacement. In his semi-retirement he will continue to run the San Moritz hotel, which he jointly owns with his brother.
Sir Richard Branson said: "Steve has been a close friend and confidant since the early days when we bounced across the Atlantic ocean in Virgin Atlantic Challenger, bringing the Blue Riband back to the UK.
"He has been a hands-on, inspirational leader and has shaped the airline into the company it is today with his carefully developed management team.
"His industry knowledge and business acumen has ensured Virgin Atlantic remains a consumer favourite.
"He will be very much involved with the airline into next year and will doubtlessly be involved in other Virgin projects as we value his skills so highly.
"I personally thank him for his dedication to Virgin Atlantic over the past 23 years."
Ridgway's exit will follow the departure at the beginning of the year of sales and marketing director Paul Dickinson, who had been with the company for more than 10 years.Follow @loullamae_es
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- SEO Manager - FMCG Account - Stand-Out Global Media Agency Ultimate Asset £30000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account Manager - top agency in Leeds Perfect Marketing People To £32K, Leeds
- Online Marketing Executive - global business services giant Perfect Marketing People To £25k, Manchester