Skype founder scratches UK campaign for video streaming service
Skype founder Janus Friis' new venture Vdio is believed to have pulled a UK launch campaign that was set to position the video streaming service as a competitor to LoveFilm and Netflix.
Januus Friis: Vdio launch campaign pulled
After initially hoping to launch Vdio as a standalone entity, it appears the company has decided to roll it into sister brand Rdio.
The news comes as rumours circulate that Rdio could be bought by Microsoft, which is believed to be considering an Xbox Video and Xbox Music offering.
Friis' previous company Skype was acquired by Microsoft last year for $8.5bn.
Vdio was due to be launched in the UK via a major marketing campaign prior to a US launch but the plans were changed by the arrival of video giant Netflix in the UK in January.
Rob Gotlieb, the former European marketing director for Muzu.tv, was heading up marketing for Vdio’s launch in the UK but now appears to be focusing his efforts on Rdio’s US operations.
Gotlieb is currently hiring for a director for content marketing for the Americas region, while Rdio is also looking to recruit a director of partner marketing based in San Francisco.
Rdio issued a statement last month accepting the two brands do share resources, but insisted Vdio is still operating as a separate company.
Vdio and Rdio declined to comment on the UK launch plans.
Former Vdio web front-end developer Sebastiaan Spijker, who left the company in March, also declined to comment when contacted.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...