Back-pedalling Nike drops Lance Armstong
Nike has dropped cyclist Lance Armstong following "seemingly insurmountable evidence" that he participated in doping.
Nike: 'driven' campaign with Lance Armstrong
After initially standing by Armstrong despite US doping authorities accusing him of being a "serial cheat" Nike has now "terminated" its contract with the high profile cyclist and cancer campaigner.
Earlier today Armstrong stood down from his position as chairman of the Nike-backed cancer charity Livestrong.
This afternoon Nike said in a statement: "Due to the seemingly insurmountable evidence that Lance Armstrong participated in doping and misled Nike for more than a decade, it is with great sadness that we have terminated our contract with him.
"Nike does not condone the use of illegal performance enhancing drugs in any manner. Nike plans to continue support of the Livestrong initiatives created to unite, inspire and empower people affected by cancer."
Last week, a report from the US anti-doping authority Usada, said Armstrong ran "the most sophisticated, professionalised and successful doping programme that sport has ever seen".
Armstrong has also been a spokesman for the AB InBev beer Michelob Ultra. Last week the brewing giant stood by Armstrong but a spokesman had not responded to request for comment today.Follow @MaisieMcCabe
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...