IAB Engage: Be 'agile, fast, work in real time and use data', says Google's Mark Howe
Companies that will succeed are "agile, fast, work in real time and use data", according to Mark Howe, Google's sales chief, who said technology should be "there when you need it and get out of the way when you don't".
Mark Howe: Google chief at IAB Engage
Speaking at the Internet Advertising Bureau (IAB) Engage conference, Howe said the majority of time at Google is "spent on products and services that are geared to deliver technology which will improve consumers' lives and business lives".
Howe said he considers himself to be "blessed" to work at Google: "[It] doesn't just ignite my thinking but regularly blows my mind. Especially when I go back to the mother ship."
"We have to go back reasonably regularly to be reprogrammed," he joked.
Howe, whose full title is managing director, agency operations, north and central Europe at Google and country sales director at Google UK, joined the search giant in 2006 from Ids, the digital TV sales house.
He talked the 1,000 plus delegates through three "audacious projects" Google is working on, including Google Glass spectacles, driver-less cars and Google Fiber broadband, before introducing the Cambridge Satchel Company.
The Cambridge Satchel Company was created four years ago by Julie Deane on her kitchen table over the summer holiday, with just £600 and a £50 Google ad words voucher. Today, its bags are shipped to 120 countries around the world.
Howe said: "In a digital world the companies that will succeed are agile, fast, work in real time and use data to enhance their business."
Other executives speaking at the conference today include Dick Costolo, chief executive of Twitter, Fru Hazlitt, managing director of commercial and online at ITV, and Ajaz Ahmed, founder and chairman of AKQA.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Brand Manager - 12 month contract Brand Recruitment £40000 per annum + plus benefits, Newmarket
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...