SodaStream capitalises on ad ban in new 'censored' campaign
SodaStream is again hitting out at Clearcast's final decision to ban its "SodaStream effect" television ad, with a print campaign brandishing the word "censored".
SodaStream: print campaign hits out at ban on TV ad
The print work states, "Censored. With SodaStream you can save 1,000 bottles a year."
It continues, "This week, our TV advertisement has been banned from being shown on UK TV because the major commercial broadcasters have ruled it 'denigrates the soft-drinks industry'. This is the same soft-drinks industry which spends £39m in TV advertising each year.
"In the UK, we dispose of 35 million plastic bottles every day and only 26% of these are recycled. An estimated 8% of world oil consumption is used in manufacturing plastic and this doesn't include transportation.
"For some this truth is uncomfortable, but should it be banned from being told? Clearcast and the major UK commercial broadcasters seem to think so."
The ad then directs consumers to SodaStream’s Facebook page, with the line, "Stand up and be heard".
The ad is running under the "Set the bubbles free" slogan in today's Daily Mail, i, Guardian and London Evening Standard newspapers.
SodaStream's original ad, which showed unidentified batches of soft drinks in plastic bottles, was pulled by Clearcast hours before it was due to air, despite the ad already airing in the US and Australia.
Following the ban, SodaStream launched a protest TV ad showing a black screen, while appealing the original ban, and is now seeking legal advice following Clearcast's final decision to uphold the ban.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)