BT plugs YouView with new ad character
BT is mounting the first TV push for its catch-up TV service YouView with a new ad introducing the mother of one of its flatmate characters.
BT is one of the seven investors in the YouView consortium, which has developed an internet-connected set-top box, bringing catch-up and pay-TV functionality as an alternative to signing up to Virgin Media and Sky.
Like fellow investor TalkTalk, BT is hoping that offering YouView will tempt customers to sign up to its telephone and broadband service.
In the ad, Simon is paid an unexpected visit by his mother, played by TV and film actress Samantha Bond, and in a bid to avoid her questions about his personal life, he shows her the YouView service.
Having recently returned from holiday, she takes to YouView as a way to catch up with the soaps she has missed.
Bond has recently played Auntie Angela in the BBC comedy 'Outnumbered' and as Lady Rosamund Painswick in 'Downton Abbey'.
The ad, which was created by Abbott Mead Vickers BBDO, will be shown first tonight (2 January) during 'One Born Every Minute' on Channel 4.
YouView was first advertised on TV in late September last year with a YouView-funded campaign featuring images of TV programmes being projected onto buildings with the strapline, "Extraordinary TV for everyone".
BT’s self-developed TV service, BT Vision, has attracted 750,000 subscribers since its launch in 2006, just 4% of the pay-TV market.Follow @DanFareyJones
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Designer/Illustrator/Children's Designer Premier Media plus excellent benefits, Central London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...