YouView partners BT and TalkTalk clash over marketing claims
BT and TalkTalk have clashed over an ad for TV set top box service YouView, despite both being partners in the joint venture.
Talk Talk: press ad that sparked clash with fellow YouView partner BT
TalkTalk was reprimanded today by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) after BT complained about a campaign for TalkTalk that claimed the YouView set top box "normally" cost £299 to buy.
BT objected to a claim on TalkTalk's website a week after YouView launched, which promoted a "free YouView box – normally £299". It also objected to a press ad that ran a day before, on 12 October 2012, offering "free YouView box, usually £299".
Objections were raised to the ad watchdog because BT claimed the "normal" cost of the box could not be substantiated so soon after launching YouView on 5 October.
The YouView box is now available to buy from Amazon.co.uk for £248, but the higher-tier box still costs £299 from John Lewis.
Both BT and TalkTalk were unavailable for comment.
This comes comes after YouView placed its £10m ad account up for review following a high-0profile launch campaign. It is understood Adam & Eve/DDB resigned the account in December.
YouView chairman Lord Sugar will be involved in the pitch process, despite previously claiming he had "abstained" from becoming involved in the advertising for YouView.
Separately, BT has had a TV ad for its broadband package banned by the ASA, after claiming it was free for the first six months, despite customers being required to pay a line-rental fee.Follow @mattchapmanuk
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...