Chris Moyle's exit fails to halt fall in Radio 1 listeners
The departure of BBC Radio 1's self-anointed "saviour", Chris Moyles, after eight years, failed to halt declines in the BBC's breakfast show listeners, according to quarterly Rajar figures published today.
Radio 1: breakfast show falls to lowest listeners since 2006
Nick Grimshaw, aged 28, took over Radio 1's primetime breakfast show in September 2012, amid mounting criticism from commercial rivals and the BBC Trust that 38-year-old Moyles and his team were attracting an older audience than the station's target market.
The Radio 1 show had an average weekly reach of 6.69 million listeners in the last quarter of 2012, down 40,000 on the 6.73 million listeners Moyles bowed out with in the third quarter of 2012.
However, the dip will not be considered a disaster for Grimshaw, with many – including himself – expecting a far greater exodus of listeners.
More poignantly, it continues a downward trend for the BBC station's morning audience, having lost 200,000 listeners the previous quarter and now sitting at its lowest audience level for seven years.
Grimshaw is reported to have to boosted the number of 15- to 24-year-olds by nearly 250,000, from 3.27 million to 3.43 million.
Outside of breakfast, Radio 1 had a weekly reach of 11.1 million listeners, down by more than half a million listeners year on year.
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London