Burger King runs press ad admitting horse meat contamination
Burger King is today running an ad in the national press admitting that its burgers had been contaminated with horse meat DNA, marking a u-turn by the fast-food company.
Burger King: admits horse meat contamination of its burgers
The full-page ad is published as a letter to Burger King customers and admits that it has failed them.
The letter reveals that "very small trace levels" of horse DNA had been found in four samples at Burger King's Irish supplier, Silvercrest. However, Burger King insisted "this product was never sold to our restaurants."
Diego Beamonte, vice-president, global quality, Burger King Corporation, said: "While the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has stated that this is not a food safety issue, we are deeply troubled by the findings of our investigation and apologise to our guests, who trust us to source only the highest quality 100% beef burgers.
"Our supplier has failed us and in turn we have failed you. We are committed to ensuring that this does not happen again."
The admission marks a U-turn by the fast-food giant, which had previously given an "absolute assurance" its food was untainted.
Burger King has now ended its relationship with Silvercrest, which also supplied the tainted burgers to Tesco and Asda.
The press ad is running in today's issue of The Sun newspaper.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Manager Business Centric Services Group Up to £45,000 per annum + benefits, Old Street
- Head of Marketing Operations - Fixed Term Contract 12 months NEST Corporation Competitve, London
- Senior Account Manager / First Time Account Director Content is King £35k - £45k per annum dependent on experience, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Acquisition & Retention NEST Corporation Competitive, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Group Account Director - Experiential Agency The Great & The Good £70,000 - £75,000 per annum, London
- Category Manager - Herbs, Spices & Ready Mixes McCormick Ltd £ Competitive + Benefits , Haddenham, Aylesbury