Burger King runs press ad admitting horse meat contamination
Burger King is today running an ad in the national press admitting that its burgers had been contaminated with horse meat DNA, marking a U-turn by the fast-food company.
Burger King: admits horse meat contamination of its burgers
The full-page ad is published as a letter to Burger King customers and admits that it has failed them.
The letter reveals that "very small trace levels" of horse DNA had been found in four samples at Burger King's Irish supplier, Silvercrest. However, Burger King insisted "this product was never sold to our restaurants."
Diego Beamonte, vice-president, global quality, Burger King Corporation, said: "While the Food Safety Authority of Ireland has stated that this is not a food safety issue, we are deeply troubled by the findings of our investigation and apologise to our guests, who trust us to source only the highest quality 100% beef burgers.
"Our supplier has failed us and in turn we have failed you. We are committed to ensuring that this does not happen again."
The admission marks a U-turn by the fast-food giant, which had previously given an "absolute assurance" its food was untainted.
Burger King has now ended its relationship with Silvercrest, which also supplied the tainted burgers to Tesco and Asda.
The press ad is running in today's issue of The Sun newspaper.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...