NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun shines on Sunday at the start of 2013
News International's tabloid Sun on Sunday had a strong start to the year, with a monthly rise of 6.8% rise to take it above 2 million sales again.
NEWSPAPER ABCs: Sun on Sunday shines in January
The official circulation for the Sunday edition of the Sun rose to 2,010,826 in January, according to the latest Audit Bureau of Circulations figures published today (8 February).
News International's 50p Sunday tabloid fell below 2 million for the first time in the last official audit for December.
The start of the year proved to be a good month for Sunday newspapers, with Trinity Mirror's Sunday Mirror up 1.4% to 1,039,150, the Mail on Sunday up 1.7% to 1,715,707, the Sunday Times up nearly 1% to 885,612 and the Sunday Telegraph up 1.6% to 435,036.
Elsewhere, The Guardian was the only quality daily title to record a month on month uplift in January, its third in a row. The Guardian Saturday also achieved a rise, with copies up 2.3% from last month, following its 'Own the Weekend' advertising campaign.
David Pemsel, chief commercial officer at Guardian News & Media, said: "The latest ABC figures confirm that the Guardian is the only quality news title to see an uplift in print sales three months in a row – great news for advertisers, and a fantastic achievement in a challenging market, especially in light of the price rise we introduced in January.
The Guardian began 2013 with a bang with our bold new marketing campaign, ‘Own the Weekend’, as well as the launch of ‘Cook’ – a new weekly section free with the Guardian every Saturday, and we're thrilled that our readers have supported this new approach by voting with their feet."
Full figures for January 2013 (Click interactive graphics below for full details)AUTOFEED INTERACTIVE DATA Follow @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
- Groovy & Grails Developer - £35k - Central London Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum + travel perks :), London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...