Oscar Pistorius dropped by Nike
Nike has pulled its sponsorship of Oscar Pistorius, the sportswear giant announced today, aping moves by his other sponsors, Clarins and Oakley.
Oscar Pistorius: Nike suspends sponsorship deal
Nike said: "Nike has suspended its contract with Oscar Pistorius. We believe Oscar Pistorius should be afforded due process and we will continue to monitor the situation closely."
Pistorius is charged with the murder of his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp.
Nike's decision to drop Pistorius follows that of French cosmetics company Clarins, which axed him from an advertising campaign earlier this week. He had been a brand ambassador for Clarins since 2011.
The sprinter has also been dropped by sunglasses brand Oakley.
Clarins said: "Out of respect and compassion for the families implicated in this tragedy, Thierry Mugler Perfume has taken the decision to withdraw all its campaigns with Oscar Pistorius."
Oakley said: "In light of the recent allegations, Oakley is suspending its contact with Oscar Pistorius, effective immediately."
BT, another Pistorius sponsor, said: "Given the ongoing situation we have nothing further to say at this time."
The decision to drop Pistorius by Nike and Oakley mirrors the move they took to axe their sponsorship of disgraced cyclist Lance Armstrong.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...