Brands would be 'foolish' to expect economic recovery, warns Coca-Cola boss
Coca-Cola GB & Ireland boss Jon Woods has warned marketers that the slump in consumer confidence is unlikely to improve even in the long term, and to modify their marketing plans accordingly.
Jon Woods: ISBA president and Coca-Cola GB & Ireland general manager
Giving his president's address at ISBA's 25th Annual Conference in London earlier today, Woods described the previous 12 months as "tough" and said it would be "foolish" to plan for any improvement in the economy.
He said: "I'm sensing a few more cautious notes of optimism of late, but it would be foolish to plan for any change in the macro environment. The issue of consumer confidence, or lack of it, underlines everything.
"It requires all businesses to review their models and act accordingly. Innovation muscles will need to be flexed to generate more for less."
Woods claimed that the marketing industry's partnership with the Government, through initiatives such as the Responsibility Deal, was "working", and warned ministers against pursuing a more "prescriptive" approach.
He said: "The Government should be pleased that the approach of working with, rather than regulating, [the advertising industry] is working. Our industry remains committed to these measures, while the government should be focused on delivering economic growth."Follow @alex_brownsell
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- PR Account Director fishtank 40k to 55k per year GBP, Surrey
- Digital Search & Acquisitions Officer Topshop Up to £30,000 per annum + benefits, London
- planner > SHOPPER EVANGELIST > brilliant role for those SUITS looking to move across into PLANNING collectivo £30-40k + bens, London
- Marketing Executive Warner Bros £ Competitive + benefits, Holborn, London
- Senior Digital Planner - Superb Integrated London Agency - FMCG Accounts - Up to £70K Fill Recruitment Ltd Up to £70K, London
- Midweight Planner Source £40000 - £45000 per annum + benefits & progression/training , London
Big Questions Live - Social Media, User Generated Content and the Power of Customer Insight (Webcast) External website
Brand Republic’s first ever online TV show, Big Questions Live wil...
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
The PR industry’s lack of success at the Cannes Lions festival 201...
Confused by hashtags? Tweetchats? Tweet walls? You’re not alone.Wi...
It’s fair to say we are truly in the age of content marketing, the...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...