BBC trials iPlayer-first strategy with Peter Kay sitcom
The BBC is to launch 'Car Share', the Peter Kay sitcom, on iPlayer, to encourage more viewers to explore the free catch-up radio and TV service.
Peter Kay: writes BBC sitcom (picture credit: University of Salford Press Office)
The move forms part of a 40-hour content trial, approved by the BBC Trust and will result in the comedy being shown in its entirety before any linear transmission on BBC One.
Danny Cohen, controller of BBC One, has commissioned six 30-minute programmes, although no launch date has yet been provided.
Created by Tim Reid and Paul Coleman, 'Car Share' is directed by and stars Kay. It is about a pairing who have been thrown together in a company car share scheme.
It will be the first time a series has premiered on BBC iPlayer and follows the corporation reporting its highest users to date at the start of 2013, with 44 million users requesting iPlayer content via smartphone devices – four times the number recorded for the previous year.
The service is proving to be particularly popular with tablet and smartphone users, accounting for 40 million users in January.
Earlier this month, the BBC announced it will be extending its video-on-demand platform to Microsoft Windows Phones 7.5 and 8. It already available on more than 650 different devices.Follow @DurraniMix
This article was first published on mediaweek.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Brand Manager Clipper Ventures Circa £40k - dependent on experience, South East England / South West England / Gosport, Hampshire
- Commercial Market Analyst UCAS c.£35,000 , Cheltenham, Gloucestershire
- Customer Insight Manager Tottenham Hotspur Between £40,000-£45,000 per annum + benefits (dependant on experience), London (North), London (Greater)
- Creative Production Controller (Maternity Cover) Asthma UK £34,361 - £36,169, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Sponsorship Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Digital Executive Innesco £20k-26k, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (Greater)