Argos looks to US for new managing director
Argos, the Home Retail Group-owned high-street business, has appointed US retail executive John Walden as managing director, effective this month.
John Walden: joins Argos as managing director
Walden, who starts at the end of February, replaces Sara Weller, who left the retailer in June last year for "personal reasons".
Today (1 February) it was announced that Weller is to become a non-executive director at Lloyds Banking Group.
Walden joins Argos after a lengthy career in the US, which includes his position as chief operating officer of online supermarket retailer Peapod, executive vice president and a member of the executive committee at Best Buy, leading to the position of executive vice president at Sears.
This included Sears Roebuck, Kmart and Land's End, where he led the internet, catalogue and home services divisions, alongside marketing, merchandising and new concept development.
Terry Duddy, chief executive, Home Retail Group, said: "I am delighted John is joining the team. He brings with him a wealth of multi-channel retail and technology related business experience at senior levels within a range of both large retail organisations and smaller entrepreneurial enterprises.
"We look forward to John bringing a valuable, fresh perspective to the future development of Argos."
Argos has had a difficult year, which has seen its operating profits plummet by more than £50m. The retailer blamed a difficult economic climate for the decline.
Follow Loulla-Mae Eleftheriou-Smith on Twitter @LoullaMae_ES
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- .Net Developer - Agency Role - ASP.Net, .Net 4.0, CMS, Umbraco Digital Gurus £35000 - £50000 per annum + benefits, London
- Freelance Account Manager for award winning integrated agency! Zebra People £180 - £220 per day, East London
- Product Strategist Dyson Undisclosed, Malmesbury, Wiltshire
- Motion Graphic designer (with Flash Experience) Digital Gurus £30000 - £35000 per annum, London