Currys owner enters movie-rental market
Dixons Retail, the electronics retail group that owns Currys, PC World and Dixons.co.uk, is launching a movie-rental service called Knowhow Movies, which has ambitious plans to take on LoveFilm, Netflix and BlinkBox.
Knowhow Movies: DSG Retail-backed service announces imminent launch
The move marks the retail group's first foray into the movie-on-demand market that has swelled recently with the arrival of US giant Netflix, which competes against Amazon-owned LoveFilm and BlinkBox.
Dixons Retail has launched a holding web page detailing the launch of the service, which claims to offer a "huge range of movies and TV shows", adding that the service will roll out "soon".
It is set to launch across mobile devices, as well as TV, enabling users to watch films "on-the-go".
Knowhow Movies is likely to be more akin to pay-per-view services offered by HMV, YouTube and BlinkBox, rather than LoveFilm and Netflix, which focus on their subscription video-on-demand services.
It is unclear whether DSG Retail will be using a partner for the launch. However , HMV, which launched a similar service last year, selected FilmFlex to deliver content to the service.
HMV's service is currently only available on PCs.
Follow Sarah Shearman on Twitter @Shearmans
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Account Manager fishtank 32k to 42k per year GBP, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...