CREATIVE STRATEGY: Flaming Ferraris all round for Honda's 80s tribute
Ad agencies have always had a penchant for ripping off films, whether Hollywood blockbusters or student projects.
Honda: Matthew Broderick reprises his Ferris Bueller role in ad for the CR-V
Oh, sorry, it’s not "rip off" is it? It’s "an homage" or "inspired by". Whatever.
Given this history, it's refreshing to see a commercial that does more than sneakily re-purpose someone else’s film, but openly acknowledges the original and makes it central to the idea.
Here's the ad for the Honda CR-V.:
The plot goes like this: Matthew Broderick, the star of 1986 flick 'Ferris Bueller’s Day Off', reprises the role as a grown-up.
This time, he's taking off in a Honda, not a Ferrari convertible.
But the teen spirit remains the same. Take some time out when you feel like it. Look around. Have fun. Connect with people – including total strangers.
It's charming and memorable. And judging from my Facebook posts, fans of the 1980s opus love it. But you don't have to have seen John Hughes’ movie for the ad to work its magic.
This cute little film from Honda should be a candidate to win the 'Best Use Of ‘80s Retro' award. And maybe some real gongs, too. Flaming Ferraris all around, I'd say.
Simon S Kershaw is a creative consultant and a former creative director at Craik Jones
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- Category Manager Pearson Competitive salary & performance related bonus & benefits, Central London
- Global Product Manager Evans Taylor c£50k - c£60k p.a. plus car, bonus and benefits, North East of England or Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager - Maternity Cover Tottenham Hotspur Football Club Up to £35,000 pro-rata, Tottenham and Enfield
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...