Editor's Comment: Olympic sponsorship is a long-term game
For the marketers staking their reputations on London 2012 Olympics sponsorships, there's little room for philanthropy.
Just ask Mariano Dima, Visa Europe's marketing chief, as he reveals the aim behind its Olympics sponsorship: to change perceptions of Visa from traditional transactions facilitator to contactless payments innovator (see page 28 of this week's Marketing).
Visa is to be commended for having such a far-reaching commercial sponsorship goal. Its London 2012 venture has ticked every box in the sponsorship rulebook so far.
One such rule is that for every £1 of sponsorship, a brand must spend £2 or £3 in activation; witness Visa's launch this weekend of yet another major Olympics TV ad campaign, featuring Usain Bolt, as an example.
Above all, Visa's five-year strategy heeds the lessons of the Beijing Olympics, after which a Nielsen report concluded the winning brands were those that viewed sponsorship as a long-term exercise, not a short-term tactical one.
As Visa repositions as a technology brand, let's hope its tactics do not involve the unpalatable practice of slowing the competition down with patent lawsuits (see 'Battle of the Patents,' page 12).
The patents under dispute have little relevance to how consumers choose technology - that's the role of marketing, after all. Let's hope that tech brands' appetite for litigation is not at marketing's expense.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Brand Manager Radisson Blu Edwardian, London Competitive , South Kensington, London
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- Account Director- Exciting Online Content Marketing Company- Up to £70,000 plus OTE Cedar Scott Up to £70,000 basic (up to £90,000 OTE) plus share options, Central London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Senior Planning Director, International Agency, London, to £120k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £120,000, Central London
- Head of Customer Analytics - Consultancy Harnham £90000 - £100000 per annum + benefits, London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
Mobile marketing is coming of age, and the pace of change is now exponen...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...