Editor's Comment: Brands face a tough social-media choice
When few brands have signed up to advertise on the 'next big thing' in social, it's tempting to judge that site a commercial failure.
Brands are just beginning to experiment with Pinterest, a site that has generated more buzz than bucks - so far.
For Honda, Confused.com and Harrods, one of Pinterest's attractions is that it has a defined demographic, with females accounting for 60% of users.
Which begs the question: should marketers decide which social-media sites to invest in based on audience profile, size or functionality? If they are looking for a site with mass appeal other than Facebook, brands could opt for Google+, social media's sleeping giant.
Such social site proliferation is enough to make a marketer's head spin. Better off starting with a creative idea, rather than a specific social platform, a strategy that will lead brands to the sites appropriate to their needs.
Contactless yet to catch on
Retail's sleeping giant, NFC contactless payment, is having a difficult birth. The gods that must align for NFC are consumer trust in the technology, retailer adoption and the widespread introduction of NFC-enabled handsets.
A tall order, in other words. Payment apps from Starbucks and PizzaExpress are a start, but until more retailers enable NFC, its adoption curve will be a long one.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...