Brand manager of the week: Ruth Start
Brand lead, Very.co.uk
Describe yourself in three words.
Creative, friendly, upbeat.
What would you be if you weren't a brand manager?
In my fantasy, I'd be a novelist and TV drama writer, but in reality, I'd probably still be a B2C marketer – just with a different slant.
What attracted you to your current job?
Very.co.uk is a key retail brand and it's great to be helping to shape what will come next in online and mobile shopping.
What was your finest hour?
Being part of the team that took us from the non-mobile-optimised Very.co.uk site to our current slick, quick mobile site, which drives more than 25% of our online traffic.
What is your favourite ever marketing campaign?
Boddingtons' 'The Cream of Manchester'.
Do you have a marketing mentor?
Sir Stelios Haji-Ioannou – my first big brand role was as marketing manager for easyJet, when it was still in its infancy. His empowering attitude, passion for the brand and flow of great ideas were inspiring.
What are your hobbies?
My friends, the theatre and playing the piano.
If you weren't you, who would you be?
Miranda Hart. She's funny, versatile and has great creative talent.
What makes you angry?
People who are rude to junior colleagues and too full of their own importance to notice what's going on around them.
What is your favourite pub?
Somewhere my friends are, so we can put the world to rights, and where they serve a decent bottle of perfectly chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
What's your favourite holiday destination?
I'm lucky enough to have a place in Tenerife, so, when time allows, I love to escape there.
If you had three wishes, what would they be?
Health and happiness for me, my friends and family.
What was your worst freebie?
A branded mango. By the time it arrived on my desk it was squashed and mouldy – and I'm allergic to them.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Director - Integrated Agency with Int. Drinks, Entertainment & Tech Accounts Rocket Recruitment £44,000 - 48,000 + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (City of), London (...
- Digital Production Manager ADLIB c.£35k, South West England / Bristol, City of Bristol
- Brand Development Manager Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment £40,000 - £42,000, London (Greater)
- Join the flagship Agency team at Blue Skies, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Executive Stopgap £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)