My secret work weapon: Control your 'inner chimp' to think more rationally
The book 'The Chimp Paradox', by psychiatrist Dr Steve Peters, is an easy-to-understand reminder that the human mind doesn't always operate rationally.
Antony Peart, European marketing and communcations manager, Brother International Europe
The book provides a simple model to manage your own thinking. It argues that there are three basic ways the mind responds: the emotional chimp, logical human and process-driven computer.
His theory is a constant reminder to me that consumers won't always behave how we predict they will, no matter how many focus groups we consider. This is particularly relevant when you are planning campaigns on a pan-European basis.
I was initially attracted to the book because of my interest in sport (Peters is a consultant to the British Olympic cycling team), yet I've been surprised to find just how relevant it is to life as a marketer.
You will benefit from practising the mental skills you need to manage your own 'inner chimp' and from being aware of its existence in others.
This article was first published on marketingmagazine.co.uk
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Graphic/Web Designer fishtank 17k to 27k per year GBP, United Kingdom
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR/SENIOR ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - BTL/SP/Brand Experience - London - £45 - £55k plus bonus Judi Patton £45K-55K plus bonus, London/Greater London
- Digital Brand Manager Nike Europe Competitive + attractive relocation package for foreign hires, Amsterdam
- Head of Media, Marketing & Communications PGA Competitive, Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands
- senior planner > SPORTS BRANDS collectivo Up to £90,000 plus benefits, London
- Senior Account Manager [Shopper Marketing] - Excellent London Agency - c£36k + Fill Recruitment Ltd c£36k + and great benefits, West London
Integrated digital marketing offers huge opportunities to engage, servic...
With UK consumers spending an average of £1,083 a year online, int...
Conversational Mobile Marketing: Engage Customers and Empower Advocates (Expert Reports) External website
The pressure is on for marketers and mobile operators to embrace a strat...
As a nation, the UK is media and technology obsessed with over half of t...
All customers have the potential to become your brand advocates, driving...
A recent Brand Republic survey revealed that 78% of respondents felt und...